CBD is one of the latest trends in the fitness industry. Athletes and bodybuilders have long used workout supplements to enhance energy and boost performance. However, concerns have risen over the years around the use of synthetic supplements.
Natural alternatives such as CBD for energy have grown in popularity, but is it safe for athletes? Additionally, do these natural alternatives actually deliver on the benefits they claim to provide? Below, we do a deep dive into the science behind the latest fitness trend.
Why Are Athletes Taking CBD for Energy?
In order to understand why athletes are taking CBD for energy, it’s important to first understand why athletes take supplements in the first place.
When it comes to pre-workout supplements, the primary goal is to maximize the gains from the workout. By increasing energy, stamina, and performance, athletes are aiming to push their routine to the max so they get the most out of their workout. Another reason for taking pre-workout supplements is to power through a lull of feeling tired, lethargic, or unmotivated.
However, many pre-workout supplements are packed with sugar, caffeine, and synthetic energy-boosting stimulants. In extreme cases, these supplements can sometimes cause high blood pressure or contribute to anxiety and insomnia.
Athletes are increasingly turning to natural supplements to maximize their workouts and improve their bodies.
CBD for energy is one of the natural supplements that has attracted the attention of pro athletes and weekend warriors alike.
So that raises the question: does CBD for energy actually work?
Understanding the Science of CBD for Energy
Cannabidiol (CBD) is one of many compounds produced by the cannabis plant. It is important to note that while CBD comes from the cannabis plant, it does not produce the psychoactive high that is generally associated with marijuana. Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is the popular psychoactive ingredient that is responsible for the “high” associated with cannabis.
During the extraction process, CBD is completely isolated from THC. Federal legislation mandates that CBD products such as CBD oil must contain less than 0.3% in order to be considered legal.
But wait — isn’t CBD sometimes promoted as a sleep supplement? If so, how can it possibly help with energy?
The dosage of CBD determines its impact on the human body. In high doses, CBD acts as a sedative and can promote more restful sleep. On the other hand, low doses of CBD promote alertness and energy without the jitters and anxiousness often associated with stimulants.
So how exactly does CBD for energy work?
- CBD boosts the endocannabinoid system (ECS). Your ECS controls your memory, mood, sleep, and even your appetite. Studies appear to suggest that CBD can help your ECS function at its top level, allowing you to spend more of your energy on things that matter (such as working out).
- CBD improves focus. Consistent workouts and daily stress take a toll on productivity and focus. As stress levels increase, the energy levels tend to suffer. CBD is known to calm the body and the mind, allowing you to focus on the task at hand, rather than the stresses around you. Increased focus and concentration will help make you more productive.
- CBD is believed to help stimulate the metabolism. Several studies suggest that CBD stimulates the metabolism by breaking down the white adipose tissue (energy-storing tissue) and converting it into brown adipose tissue, which burns the energy. This process is known as “the browning of adipose tissue.” Better regulated metabolisms reduce blood sugar abnormalities, resulting in steadier energy levels.
With so many benefits it’s no wonder that CBD for energy is increasingly popular among athletes. Nevertheless, are all CBD products created equal?
What to Look for in CBD Capsules for Energy and Focus
As with any industry, as popularity booms, there are shady businesses and products that pop up left and right. With so many options, it can be difficult to decipher which products are legitimate and which products to avoid.
The best CBD products will be:
- Made from premium hemp that is organically grown in the USA
- Pesticide free
- 25 mg/per hemp CBD capsule
By looking for these qualities, you’ll be able to find a product that is reliable. Our favorite recommendation is Fusion’s CBD Capsules for Energy and Focus (25 mg).
This product contains 0-0.03% total of THC and D9-THC, ensuring that it complies completely with the federal standard of less than 0.3%.
One of the benefits of capsules is that they are perfectly measured doses. Other methods of intake such as tinctures require guesswork or precision when it comes to measuring dosages. Capsules are convenient and ensure accurate measurements.
As a side note, if you’d prefer a vape instead of CBD capsules, then be sure to look for an all-in-one vape starter kit. These packages include the technical components necessary to begin vaping right out of the box. You won’t need to worry about how to recharge the battery or how to use a vape for the first time. Quality all-in-one vape kits include a user manual so that you can get the most out of your product.
Who Else Can Use CBD for Energy?
While more and more athletes are using CBD for energy, they are not the only ones that can benefit from this natural solution.
Of course, before trying any new supplement, we recommend consulting with your doctor or primary care provider. It’s critical to communicate openly with your provider to ensure that you are doing what is best for your health. As with any supplement, there are multiple variables that must be considered, including whether or not CBD can be taken alongside prescription medication.
With all of that being said, you don’t need to be an athlete to enjoy the benefits of CBD for energy. Some users prefer CBD over coffee while others are simply looking for a natural solution to increase their focus and productivity. Because CBD has a biphasic property (different doses produce different effects), it’s important to test when and how much CBD you consume.
What Causes Tiredness in the First Place?
Unlike caffeine and synthetic stimulants, CBD for energy can help you re-energize naturally without feeling jittery or anxious. Below are some of the most common reasons why tiredness may be disrupting your focus and productivity:
- Lack of sleep. A lack of sleep or poor-quality sleep is the most common reason for tiredness. It is recommended that most adults get between seven and nine hours of sleep per night. Of course, there are many challenges to achieving this goal including taking care of the family, career demands, or broader feelings of anxiety or restlessness. Fortunately, CBD can help improve the quality of your sleep, which will help you feel more alert and present throughout the day!
- Dehydration. Healthy hydration is essential for a strong, high-functioning brain. Before hitting the gym, it’s important to be well hydrated. It can take several hours for the human body to absorb water, so simply drinking right before a hard workout won’t cut it. Instead, be sure to hydrate yourself thoroughly throughout the day. Beverages such as soda or coffee can even dehydrate you, which is another reason why CBD is gaining popularity over a cup of coffee.
- Too much screen time. Whether we’re working from home or simply browsing the news on our mobile devices, we’re more plugged in than ever before. However, too much screen time can make it harder for the body to produce the proper amount of melatonin to get you to sleep. Furthermore, information overload can result in stress and information fatigue.
Fortunately, there are natural methods to restore energy and productivity, especially for athletes. The most important strategy is to commit to a regular, healthy sleeping schedule. For athletes, this is especially important. Why? Workouts are demanding on the body. In fact, successful workouts result in tiny muscle tears on a microscopic level. Your body repairs itself (so you can enjoy those “gains”) when you’re asleep. A lack of sleep will make it difficult to be productive the next day and to continue workout out at top levels.
Another natural method is to focus on healthy eating. Imbalanced diets result in sugar crashes, which throw your metabolism into chaos. By eating a healthy diet of vegetables, whole grains, and healthy oils, you are ensuring that your body and metabolic system get the vitamins and minerals you need.
If you’re getting quality sleep, eating a healthy diet, and staying hydrated, then CBD for energy can help you take your workout to the next level!
How to Use CBD as a Pre-Workout
Many athletes are familiar with CBD as a post-workout supplement. For example, there are many topical oils and ointments infused with hemp or CBD that can help reduce inflammation and soreness.
It’s only in recent years that CBD as a pre-workout has gained popularity.
Again, if you have any questions about using CBD as a pre-workout supplement, we recommend consulting with your doctor or primary care physician.
When committing to a healthy lifestyle, it’s important not to take any shortcuts. In other words, there is no supplement that can replace a truly healthy lifestyle.
With that being said, your CBD pre-workout routine will begin the night before your workout! Be sure to get a full night’s rest so that you can exercise to your body’s full potential. Remember, a lack of sleep makes it difficult for your body to exert itself during exercise.
It is also a good idea to drink a glass of water before bed. This will allow your body to absorb the water so that you are fully hydrated for your workout. To help your body retain the water, it is advised to eat something that is lightly salted such as pretzels.
In the morning, it is recommended to take CBD Capsules for Energy and Focus one to two hours before your workout. This will give your body enough time to absorb the product before your workout sessions.
If you are a competitive athlete, never change your routine the day of a competition. This is true whether or not it is a race or a weightlifting competition. Instead, commit to slowly testing and experimenting with CBD capsules so you know how your body will react. Remember, each body is different, so it’s important to see how CBD impacts you specifically. For example, some people might need to take capsules two full hours before their workout whereas others may only need an hour to feel the full effects.
Final Notes for Athletes on CBD for Energy
At the end of the day, it’s important to remember that supplements are just that — supplements. They’re meant to enhance your healthy habits, but not replace them. For example, there’s no magic pill that can replace the benefits of working out in the gym or going for a run. Similarly, there’s no replacement for a good night’s rest and staying hydrated, especially for athletes.
Fortunately, CBD for energy can help you make the most of your workouts if you are already committed to a healthy lifestyle!
A few final notes:
- When in doubt, consult with your primary care provider. If you’re taking any prescription medications, it is important to note that CBD can sometimes interact with these medications. Consulting with your doctor can ensure that you are staying safe while enjoying the benefits you desire.
- CBD is different from THC. While CBD and THC both come from the marijuana plant, CBD products will not give you a psychoactive high. CBD products are federally required to have less than 0.3% THC. Be sure to double check the label before making any purchases.
- Athletes should avoid changing their routine the day of a competition or race. It’s important to know how your body will respond to different variables. For this reason, while CBD for energy can be helpful, we recommend incorporating it into your workouts before any important events.
- CBD capsules are preferred over tinctures and other methods. While there is nothing wrong per se with tinctures and other methods, CBD capsules are preferred among athletes because of the precise measurements. Capsules remove the guesswork of measuring the amount of CBD consumed, so you can rest assured that you are consuming the appropriate amount for an energy boost!
Fusion’s 100% organic CBD capsules for energy and focus (25mg) help you stay concentrated for longer while boosting your energy levels.
Best of luck during your training and athletic endeavors!